The mission of the Bexley Community Foundation is to enhance the quality of life for the Bexley community through investing in initiatives that make a positive impact.
We work to achieve our mission by focusing on these actionable pillars:
1. WE ARE A LAUNCH PAD FOR COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS.
By connecting donors, nonprofits, and community leaders to identify projects that improve the quality of life in Bexley.
2. WE TURN YOUR GENEROSITY INTO IMPACT.
We take your individual gifts and combine them to offer grant funding for appropriate and worthy projects that make Bexley better.
3. WE GIVE WHERE WE LIVE, LEARN, WORK and PLAY.
Every dollar to the Bexley Community Foundation is reinvested in Bexley organizations, ideas and projects – allowing our community to dream big for Bexley.
Our vision is to create a vibrant community for all who live, learn, work and play in Bexley now and in the future.
Your Community. Your Foundation.
- Provide professional services, resources, support and counsel to help individuals and families achieve their charitable giving goals
- Help donors create their own endowment funds
- Meet a broad range of changing needs through targeted grants
- Address multiple charitable interests through low-cost administration and maximized tax advantages
- Practice prudent stewardship and investment policies
- Strengthen Bexley by identifying important issues and bringing together the people and organizations who can solve them
Why The Foundation?
The City of Bexley is one of Columbus’ “first ring” suburbs. That is, Bexley is land-locked by other municipalities, with no opportunity for future physical growth – or the additional tax revenues such growth could provide. Because community needs exceed local tax resources, increased private giving is necessary to preserve the Bexley experience for generations to come.
Bexley residents have always had a strong tradition of giving, but lacked an organization singularly focused on linking their charitable resources with community needs. The city also needed a single entity to maximize the potential impact of Bexley’s extraordinary assets – citizen, governmental, educational, business and non-profit.
On March 20, 1999, five families established the Bexley Heritage Fund at the Columbus Foundation with $50,000. The purpose of the Heritage Fund was to identify community needs that, in all likelihood, could not otherwise be funded, and provide seed money to initiate projects and programs to enhance Bexley.
Then, in 2009, the Heritage Fund board initiated plans to expand the impact of private giving in Bexley by creating a more broadly based community foundation. On July 30, 2010, the Bexley Community Foundation was granted tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and received the transferred assets of the Heritage Fund.